A blaze at a parish church in Beachamwell caused serious damage and destroyed the Grade I listed building’s thatched roof.
The blaze at St Mary’s Parish Church in Norfolk is thought to have been started by a spark from welding equipment. Workmen had been replacing lead which had been stolen from the medieval church.
Scaffolding had been erected; the work was just two days away from being completed. The workmen had been welding lead, when a spark had landed on another part of the roof – which was thatched – and caught light.
Firefighters were called to the church near Swaffham, at about 10:45 GMT.
The fire that ripped through the thatched roof of the church caused “really significant damage”, fire service said.
No one was hurt in the incident.
The church, with its round tower believed to be one of the oldest in Norfolk, was thought to be last surviving one of four that once served the area.
(Agencies; Picture Courtesy: PA)